The long winter months can be cold, especially if you work in a space that isn’t well insulated and warm like a garage or shop.
If you are looking for an additional source of heat, infrared heaters are going to be your best option!
An infrared heater is a lamp with a higher temperature. It transfers energy in the form of heat to a body with a lower temperature.
Infrared heaters work like the sun and emit an even and steady flow of heat.
They not only heat faster and better than conventional heaters, but they are energy-efficient, safer and better for the environment.
The heat produced by infrared heaters retain more oxygen and moisture, so they will not dry out the air.
We will explain more about how infrared heaters work and their benefits at the end of this article, but first let’s dive in and review the best infrared heaters on the market.
Here are the Best Infrared Garage Heaters on the Market:
AirNmore Comfort Deluxe
If you are looking for heaters that are targeted more specifically for the cold winter months, then the AirNmore Comfort heater brand is for you because their products are specifically geared for just that.
The heater is portable and and stays cool to the touch which makes it great for homes with pets or small children.
This heater also has Copper PTC wiring which means that the heating parts shouldn’t ever have to be replaced.
The Positive Temperature Coefficient (Copper PTC) also doesn’t reduce humidity or oxygen in the air like electric heaters do.
To top it all off, this unit comes with a two-year warranty.
- Ideal for small to large rooms
- Copper PTC (copper wiring)
- Even source of heat without increasing heating cost
- Tip-over protection
- Dual-energy wattage
- 14-guage three-pronged power cable
- Two speed high velocity fan
- Heavy-duty particle filter with antimicrobial properties
- Remote control
- No bulbs required
- Built-in memory that reboots after power outage
- Two power setting for pet and child safety
- ETL listed – Meets American safety standards
DR Infrared Heater
DR Infrared Heater is one of the most trusted brands in its niche.
This infrared heater is designed with a dual heating system, remote control, caster wheels, an electronic thermostat and more!
Although this model is a little more costly than other models, it does come with a few notable features.
The heater is designed with a 12-hour automatic shut-off timer as well as overheat and tip-over protection which makes it safe for those with pets or small children.
We also love the wheels because you can simply push it around rather than having to lift it up to move it from place to place.
- Dimensions: 13″ x 11″ x 16″
- 24 lbs total weight
- 72″ Electric cord
- IR Remote control
- Dual heating system
- Delivers around 250 degrees F of heat at 3.5 m/s
- Caster Wheels so you can easily move around without lifting
- 12-hour automatic shut-off timer
- Infrared quartz tube and PC
- High pressure – low noise
- Overheat and tip-protection features
Lifesmart Infrared Heater
Lifesmart is another popular and reliable brand of infrared heaters and this one rules the market as one of the most affordable options!
This company is known for providing a wide range of cost-effective infrared heaters that will keep you warmer, even in the coldest months.
This heater comes with a compact design and wheels which make it easy to use and move.
It is designed with lined grill and combustible heating techniques to give you excellent heating power.
- Dimensions: 11.58″D x 13.39″H x 9.72″W
- Compact design
- Lined grill and combustible heating techniques
- Humidified heat roll technique to keep heater cool to the touch
- Handles on sides and wheels on bottom for easy portability and movement
- Lifetime air filter that can be removed and cleaned
- Easy to program with numeric digits
- Helps in breathing better with sanitized and humid air
Duraflame Infrared Quartz Heater
Duraflame is a very reputable company that has been around for a long time.
Consumers love them because they not only provide users with new technology like both infrared and zone heating, but they have kept many of the classic designs and styles that some consumers look for.
This heater has a classic look and comes in two colors: oak and cherry.
Although the heater look like it would be heavy, it is really only 26.4 pounds and has wheels, making it portable and easy to move around.
- Dimensions: 12.8″ x 16.8″ x 15.3″
- Classic style, new technology
- Compaq design for easy clean, carry and maintenance
- Safer plug fire prevention technology and built-in thermometer
- Infrared technology provides purified oxygen
- Heater weight 26.4 lbs and has wheels for portability
- Natural humidifier for surrounding air
- Automatically turns off for temperature control
- Digital thermostat
Thermoflow Infrared Heater
Thermoflow designs a wide variety of heaters and if floor heaters aren’t an option for you because you don’t want them taking up space or you simply don’t like how they look, then you may want to look into a wall or ceiling heater.
This infrared heater from Thermoflow has a sleek and slim design that will save space in your home, garage or outdoor area.
The heater is made of marine grade stainless steel and alloy and is waterproof so that you can use it outdoors.
This specific design is popular in garage areas, outdoor patios, restaurants, cafes, showrooms, factories, and more.
This model is more powerful than many of the ones we’ve listed above and has watt capacities of 1500 watts and 2400 watts.
Furthermore, this unit is quiet and doesn’t emit any light, sound or noise when in use.
- Space saving – can be mounted to walls or ceilings
- Powerful 1500 watts or 2400 watts
- Marine grade stainless sleet and alloy design
- Indoor or outdoor use
- Waterproof for outdoor use
- Sleep booster infrared eliminates any light, sound or noise when in use
- Auto control timer and remote control
- Automatic shut off timer
- Dual Power setting
Heat Storm Infrared Heater
This infrared heater by Heat Storm looks small but actually packs a really powerful punch.
It is lined with flame broil and burnable warming technologies that give even and powerful heat distribution.
Furthermore, this unit uses humidified warmth move strategy to keep the heater cool on the outside – making it safer for pets and children.
It is equipped with two handles on the sides and wheels for easy portability.
The only downside that was mentioned by consumers is that this unit is a little more noisy than others so it might be better suited for use in a garage or space where it doesn’t need to be ultra quiet.
- Dimensions: 22″ x 16″ x 7.5″
- Lifetime air channel that can easily be cleaned and maintained
- WiFi Smart technology
- ETL laboratory certified for safety
- Heat storm technology that keeps it cool on the outside
Lifesmart 2 Medium Room Infrared Heater
If you are looking to heat a smaller space (around 100 sq ft or so), then this is a really great option!
It is easy to use, is compact, and does a really good job emitting even heat.
The unit has three settings: 1500 W, 1000 W, and 500 W (eco-mode) so that you can decide how much or little heat you need.
It also comes equipped with a remote control so you can operate it from across the room.
We love that this unit actually looks more like a computer, so if you use it in an office area, chances are no one will even know it is a heater.
Use the LED screen to check the temperature of the room or operate the functions of the heater.
- Compact design
- For use in medium to small spaces
- Auto shut off feature
- Fireproof casing
- Remote control
- Three heat settings: 1500 W, 1000 W, and 500 W (eco-mode)
Air Choice Infrared Heater – Portable with Remote
Here is a floor heater options that is small and portable, yet powerful.
The nice thing is that this compact heater can also be used on the ground, making it very versatile and portable.
This one can instantly heat a 20-30sq ft room with its 1500W power.
Even though it is quite powerful, this unit uses very little energy and has very low operating costs.
- Remote Control & 12h Timer
- Overheat & Tip-over Shutoff for Safety Assurance
- Odorless heat
- Consumes little electricity and no oxygen
Trustech Portable Space Heater
This handy little heater has three heating modes: 1500 W (high), 700 W (low), and eco mode.
It also comes with a remote so that you can turn it on or off from across the room.
One feature that we love about this unit is that you can set the temperature you want and the heater will turn on and off to help maintain that temperature.
It also have a Timer setting and an overheat shut off sensor to keep you safe.
- Three heating modes: 1500 W (high), 700 W (low), and eco mode
- LED screen display
- Remote control
- Built-in timer with 12-hour programming
- Thermostat feature to hold desired temperature
- Overheat shut off sensor
- Small, lightweight and portable
- One year manufacturers warranty
- Energy-saving unit
Heat Storm Deluxe Infrared Wall Heater
If a designated wall heater is what you are looking for, here is a great recommendation for you!
The Heat Storm Wall Heater is a great option if you need consistent heat in a designated area without the need of portability – for example your garage or shop.
This wall unit is designed to be installed indoors only, so keep that in mind. You will want to be sure it doesn’t get exposed to wind or rain/moisture.
It comes with a remote control and is energy efficient, which saves you money in the long run.
This heater also performs best in a space of about 500 sq ft.
It is easily installed and can be easily removed from the wall if needed.
- Remote control
- Wall heater
- Ideal for indoor use only
- Heats up to 500 sq ft
- 1000 W power
- Built-in thermostat and large LED digital display
- Trips automatically when there is an electric breaker
- Filters are easy removed and cleaned
- Quiet unit
Bromic Smart-Heat Tungsten Radiant Infrared Heater
Here is a type of infrared heating unit we have not talked about in this article yet – a freestanding infrared heater.
This is a great option for outdoor spaces, open garages and shops, restaurant patios, etc.
It comes with an anti-tip switch so it turns off automatically if it gets knocked over.
This heater is so easy to use, you just plug it in and turn it on.
It is cost effective because it only requires 18 p run per hour.
- Sleek contemporary styling with black high temperature ceramic coating over stainless steel
- Anti-tip switch
- Heating rods inside standing tube
- Doesn’t emit any fumes or gases
- Remains cool to the touch
- Indoor and outdoor use
- Can also be mounted vertically or horizontally
- Unaffected by drafts
- Anti-slip base
- No assembly required
How Infrared Heaters Work
Infrared heaters work b way of infrared rays, just like the sun can emit heat to the earth.
The frequency of these rays is 9 and 14-micron meters which is why these heaters are so good at evenly heating an entire space.
A conventional heating system works on convection currents and that is why they don’t heat a room evenly while infrared heat the particles in the atmosphere and when these particles move, they make the entire room feel warmer.
Infrared heaters are also more cost effected than conventional heaters because they require less energy.
In fact, infrared heaters us 50% less energy!
Furthermore, there are no fumes, smoke or hazardous emissions when using infrared heaters.
These heaters really are the best option for heating your room, garage, outdoor patio area and more!
Benefits of Infrared Heaters
- Infrared heaters are silent – most of these heaters don’t require a fan to distribute heat so they are much more silent compared to other standalone heaters.
- Provide immediate, evenly distributed heat.
- Environmentally friendly because they do not burn fossil fuels or items like kerosene, gas, propane, etc.
- They produce warmth without reducing the moisture in the air. Conventional heaters dry out the air and can cause dry skin and sinus irritation.
- Cost effective because they use less energy.
- Space savers – many infrared heaters are compact or can be installed on a wall or ceiling.
- Portable – because of their size, they can easily be moved around and used in different spaces as needed.
EMF Radiation and Infrared Heat
EMF stands for electromagnetic frequency.
The electromagnetic spectrum (EMS) represents all frequencies of electromagnetic energy and it ranges from extremely long wavelengths (extremely low-frequency exposures such as those from power lines) to extremely short wavelengths (x-rays and gamma rays) and includes both non-ionizing and ionizing radiation.
Infrared heaters fall into the non-ionizing spectrum of EMF which makes them safe to use.
Unlike high-energy ionizing radiation, EMF’s in the non-ionizing part of the electromagnetic spectrum cannot damage DNA or cells.
So you can rest assured that these heaters won’t add EMF radiation to the space that you are heating.
Read more about infrared technology in our article here.